Game 12: No. 15 Seton Hall Pirates (9-2, 0-1 BIG EAST) vs. No. 22 Villanova (8-4, 1-1 BIG EAST)
Saturday, January 1 • Prudential Center (Newark, NJ) • 2 p.m.
TV: CBS with Tom McCarthy, Bill Raftery and Jon Rothstein
The Web: CBS.com
Radio: AM970 / Sirius 135 / XM 201 / SXM app 964 / Pirate Sports Network & TuneIn with Gary Cohen & Dave Popkin
Play Notes: Seton Room | Villanova
To follow: Instagram | Twitter | Live statistics
Promotion of the game: Ring in the blue year! – Official ring in the BLUE The Year’s T-shirts will be on sale at the Pop-Up Bookstore in the lobby of the Prudential Center behind Section 19. The Blue Year’s Shirts will be draped over the seats in the Student Section for Students.
South Orange, New Jersey – The 15th-ranked Seton Hall men’s basketball team will face their second-ranked opponent in four days on Saturday as the Pirates look to bounce back against No.22 Villanova on New Years Day at the Prudential Center.
The game will air on CBS and Gary Cohen and Dave Popkin will have the call on AM970 The Answer.
All fans must be masked in the Prudential Center unless they are actively eating or drinking. Updated policy can be found here.
Going forward, all tickets to access the men’s and women’s basketball home games will be fully digital, helping to make entry to the Prudential Center and Walsh Gymnasium safer and easier for fans.
This transition to digital ticketing via a smartphone will also help secure ticket transactions while reducing fraud and counterfeiting. Tickets are accessible through the SHU Pirates mobile app, available for all iOS and Android devices. For more information and to watch an information video, Click here.
Cash will NOT be accepted at concession stands, retail outlets or ticket offices.
Pay with a debit or credit card using touch to pay, chip or swipe, or mobile payment, including Apple Pay and Google Pay. For customers needing to convert money to a card, reverse ATMs are available free of charge in sections 1, 14, 125 and inside the ticket hall.
THING TO KNOW BONUS: BE PATIENT!
There are a lot of new features and initiatives at the Prudential Center this season. Make sure to arrive early, upload your tickets to your Apple Wallet, and be patient as we all get used to the game day experience.
NOTES YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Le Hall is 6-0 at Prudential Center this season, their best start at “The Rock” since 2017-18 when the Pirates started 10-0.
- Those wins are underscored by wins over preseason league favorites Yale (80-44) and Wagner (85-63), a top 10 victory over the then number one. 7 Texas (64-60) and a rivalry victory over Rutgers (77-63).
- The Pirates are 70-56 (.556) all-time and 37-17 (.685) since 2015-16 against the BIG EAST competition at the Prudential Center.
- The Pirates are 1-0 this season and 12-9 in the last two seasons following a loss.
- The hall was without two key players in 7-2 graduate student Ike obiagu (2.7 bpg, 2.3 ppg) and 6-10 juniors Tyrese Samuel (10.8 points per game, 6.9 rounds per minute) in the No.21 loss to Providence on Wednesday.
- Seton Hall is looking to avoid his first 0-2 start in the GREAT EAST since 2009-10.
- With Seton Hall’s victory over Rutgers on December 12, Kevin willard overtook PJ Carlesimo (213 wins) and is now in possession of second place on Seton Hall’s all-time winning list.
- This is the first season in the history of the program where the Pirates have defeated two of the top 10 non-conference opponents in the regular season.
- The Hall is one of only three programs in the country to have multiple wins against the Top 10 teams this season (Duke, Gonzaga).
- The Pirates are the only college basketball team with a true top-five road win (Michigan # 4, 67-65).
- The Pirates rank 12th nationwide in three-point defense percentage (26.1%).
- The Pirates have kept seven of their top 11 opponents 65 points or less and are currently ranked 30th in terms of defensive efficiency adjusted by KenPom.
- The Pirates are 103-17 (0.858) since 2016-17 when attempting more free throws than their opponent.
- Le Hall are 122-18 (0.871) since 2015-16 when their lead reached seven points.
- Under Willard, the Pirates are 87-9 (0.905) when scoring 80 points or more.
- Seton Hall was ranked in the AP’s Top 25 for the sixth consecutive week on Monday as the Pirates remained in 15th place.
- Hall is 5-5 all-time when ranked 15th in the Top 25 AP.
- The Pirates are 1-1 in ranked versus ranked clashes this season and 24-26 all-time.
- Seton Hall is 176-64 all-time when ranked in the AP’s Top 25.
- Graduate student Alexis Yena (Paris, France) are averaging 11.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game with two double-doubles for the Pirates in the last three games.
- Upper guard Jared rhoden (Baldwin, NY) averaged 21 points and five rebounds per game against Michigan, Ohio State and Texas and was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll three times this season.
- Rhoden is 45 points away from becoming the 47th career pirate to score 1,000 points.
- Ike obiagu (Abuja, Nigeria) have recorded a block in 21 straight games since last season.
- After missing three games with an injury sustained in the three-point loss to Ohio State, a graduate student Myles Cale (Middletown, Del.) Is averaging 10 points, 3.5 rebounds and two steals in the last four games.
- Cale (133 games) is now in the top five career games played in program history and is two games away from equaling Mike Nzei’s record at Seton Hall of 135 career games played.